Beaver Pond, formerly Page Pond, State Forest covers a total of 791 acres. It is named after a 17 acre pond that is partially situated in the state forest. Two tracts of land in the forest were acquired in 1940 and 1941. Two additional tracts were then acquired in 1981 and 1989. The most popular recreational activities on the forest are hunting and cross country skiing.
The forest shape is long and narrow, providing a distance from the northern border to the southern border of approximately 3 miles. The highest elevation on the forest is about 2,010 feet and can be found on two different peaks in the north section of the property. The lowest elevation is about 1350 feet and is found near the intersection of NYS Route 41 and Huggins Road. The forest has a mix of well-drained and poorly drained ground. The steepest slope on the forest is the north-facing slope adjacent to NYS Route 41. The forest cover is primarily a mix of native conifers and northern hardwoods. Only a few acres of this forest were ever planted with species such as red pine or Norway spruce. The largest block of conifer (hemlock) on the forest is located in the southern section of the forest, south of NYS route 41. The remainder of the forest is largely covered with hardwoods such as red oak, sugar maple, aspen, red maple, white ash., black cherry, and beech.
The mammals that are common residents of Beaver Pond State Forest include deer, raccoons, squirrels, porcupines, beavers, chipmunks, and opossum. Coyotes and foxes are also present. There is also a large variety of birds, including songbirds and hawks. Turkeys are also abundant on this forest, due to the high percentage of beech and oak trees that enhance their habitat
Beaver Pond State Forest is bordered by a mix of privately owned woodlands and agricultural lands. The Marsh Pond State Forest is also in close proximity. The closed section of Huggins Road is a good corridor for cross country skiing. Like the Marsh Pond State Forest, this forest is located in a rural landscape that is only sparsely populated. The nearest villages are Windsor and Deposit, which are each about 5 miles distant from the forest.