James Kennedy State Forest

The James D. Kennedy Memorial State Forest, or Cortland Reforestation Area #3, and was named in memory of the Distract Forester James D. Kennedy. The 4422 acre forest is located in the towns of Harford, Lapeer and Virgil on Babcock Hollow, Baldwin, Bleck, Cook Hill, Courtney Hill, Cortwright, Hauck Hill, Hilsinger, O'Dell, Owego Hill, Quail Hollow, Scutt Hill, Valentine Hill and Van Donsel Roads. The forest was established between 1931 and 1974 to reduce soil erosion, produce forest products, help stabilize the tax base, and provide recreational opportunities. Most of the landscape was cleared of trees for agriculture during the mid-to- late 19th century by European settlers. Between 1931 and 1976 approximately 2,280,500 pine, spruce, cedar, larch and red oak were planted. The trees were planted by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-125 based in Slaterville Springs, NY; Conservation Department employees; Camp Pharsalia crews and social service crews. Today the forest provides a diverse group of ecological, economic, and recreational services.

Show only the Charts, Google Maps, Maps, Photos or Videos.

Home
New York State
Madison County, NY
Beaver Creek State Forest
Beaver Pond (aka Page Pond) State Forest
Black Creek State Forest
Blenhiem, NY
Brookfield
Canastota
Canastota-Cazenovia State Trailway
Cazenovia, New York
Charles Baker State Forest
Chittenango Falls State Park
DeRuyter State Forest
Earlville State Forset
Eaton Brook Reservior
Fenner
Great Western Turnpike
Hinckley State Forest
Hubbardsville, New York
James Kennedy State Forest
Lake Moraine
Lebanon State Forest
Leland Pond
Mariposa State Forest
Morrow Mountain State Forest
Nelson
Nine Mile Swamp
Oneida, New York
Oxbow Falls
Oxbow Falls County Park
Texas Hill State Forest
Tioughnioga Wildlife Management Area
Tuller Hill State Forest

Questions? Need an updated map? Email me andy@andyarthur.org.

Map: James Kennedy State Forest

Map: James Kennedy State Forest

The James D. Kennedy Memorial State Forest, or Cortland Reforestation Area #3, and was named in memory of the Distract Forester James D. Kennedy. The 4422 acre forest is located in the towns of Harford, Lapeer and Virgil on Babcock Hollow, Baldwin, Bleck, Cook Hill, Courtney Hill, Cortwright, Hauck Hill, Hilsinger, O'Dell, Owego Hill, Quail Hollow, Scutt Hill, Valentine Hill and Van Donsel Roads. The forest was established between 1931 and 1974 to reduce soil erosion, produce forest products, help stabilize the tax base, and provide recreational opportunities. Most of the landscape was cleared of trees for agriculture during the mid-to- late 19th century by European settlers. Between 1931 and 1976 approximately 2,280,500 pine, spruce, cedar, larch and red oak were planted. The trees were planted by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-125 based in Slaterville Springs, NY; Conservation Department employees; Camp Pharsalia crews and social service crews. Today the forest provides a diverse group of ecological, economic, and recreational services.